CLINTON, SC — The Presbyterian College men’s and women’s tennis teams opened the home portion of the 2005 season this afternoon with a sweep of Coker College at the Templeton Tennis Courts. The #19-ranked men’s team defeated the Cobras 6-1 while the Blue Hose women’s squad won 9-0.
In the men’s match, PC picked up wins at #1 and #2 doubles to pull ahead 2-1 entering singles. PC’s junior Kshitij Dwivedi (New Delhi, India) and sophomore Paul Ratchford (Delta, British Columbia), ranked #2 nationally, won easily at #1 doubles 8-3 over Coker’s junior Matt Byford (Essex, United Kingdom) and sophomore Duncan Grew (Bath, United Kingdom). Dwivedi and Ratchford went on to finish first and second in singles as both won in straight sets leading the Blue Hose to a 6-1 victory.
1. Hector Rincon (PC) def. Matt Byford (COKER) 6-1, 6-4
2. Paul Ratchford (PC) def. Duncan Grew (COKER) 6-2, 6-3
3. Kshitij Dwivedi (PC) def. Tim Morton (COKER) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alistair Morgan (PC) def. Dustin Yager (COKER) 6-1, 6-3
5. Zach Glankler (PC) vs. Danny Nash (COKER) 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
6. Guy Dooley (PC) vs. Tyson Thompson (COKER) 4-6, 1-2, unfinished
1. Paul Ratchford/Kshitij Dwivedi (PC) def. Matt Byford/Duncan Grew (COKER) 8-3
2. Hector Rincon/Zach Glankler (PC) def. Dustin Yager/Danny Nash (COKER) 8-3
3. Tim Morton/Tyson Thompson (COKER) def. Alistair Morgan/Guy Dooley (PC) 8-3